Some dogs are not the most sensible when it comes to choosing what they put in their mouths. If your dog is particularly determined, it can seem almost impossible to stop them from eating things that they shouldn’t, no matter how hard you try. Sadly, it is common for foreign objects that are eaten to cause serious gut damage or even obstruction of the bowel.
Mild if the object can pass, but severe if the object becomes stuck or is sharp
Table of Content
- Small or soft objects may pass on their own
- Foreign objects can commonly lead to vomiting, diarrhea, or straining to pass feces
- You will need to see a veterinarian if your dog develops any symptoms
- Blood tests, scans, or x-rays may be needed
- If the object causes a gut blockage, surgery is required
Symptoms and types:
Understanding the diagnostics
Learning about the causes
If the material is sharp or pointy, like a skewer or bone fragment, it may penetrate through the wall of the gut, leaking fecal material into your dog’s belly and leading to a serious and life-threatening infection called peritonitis.
Best treatment options
Home remedies and their effectiveness
When to see a vet
Dr. Hannah Godfrey MRCVS graduated from the Royal Veterinary College in 2011. Although she initially worked in mixed practice treating all species, she found a love for small animal work and has worked exclusively with dogs and cats since 2014. She lives in Wales with her partner, son, and two cats (named Poppy and Ashton Kutcher), and writes comedy fiction in her spare time.